Monday, April 19, 2010

• General conference was amazing.  I loved that it was about family, because my family has made so many improvements and changes since I've been gone. The first talk really got to me because it was about allowing and asking fathers to give us blessings.  My dad did not help set me apart as a missionary and I asked my grandpa to give me a blessing before I went out, but not my dad.  I see the error of my ways, and I felt strongly that I need to ask my dad for a blessing as soon as I can. General conference was amazazing!
• I was so thankful for the opportunity to hear General Conference this past weekend, especially the Priesthood Session. I felt many of the same feelings there, that I had felt during our revelatory experience with Elder Bednar. Many of the questions I had had during the past few weeks were answered during Conference, and I'm so thankful to the Lord for allowing me to be receptive enough to understand how he wants me to act.
• General Conference however was amazing! Like always. I always look forwards to hearing from specific individals, but I noticed this time nearly all of them I feel were really great talks. Normally I tend to zone in and out if a talk isn't too appealing to me, but this time I was there the whole time. I agree to Presidnet Monson when he kept saying that this was one of the best conferences he's ever attended. Things are going good. We're still finding every week and should be picking up a family a five with two non-members and three less-actives. I'm really excited for them because we've been working about 6 months to be able to teach them.
• I just wanted to thank you for allowing me to go to General Conference, I enjoyed every single moment of it =) Usually at home I only woke up for confernece with my family to watch the opening prayer and eat breakfast then lay down and take a nap, but I have payed attention this time!! =)  When President Eyring spoke, it reminded me of my family and my older brother who needs to be rescued, then to my mission and that I also need to be a rescuer to those who don't know about the gospel.
• General conference was an amazing experience. I learned a lot and specially from the priesthood meeting session. I guess what hit me was the importance of being patient and Pres. Uchdorf spoke really good about the subject. I also liked the talk by elder Oaks that made me realise the importance of the actual anointing and sealing part of the blessing. Sometimes I get too worried about what to say during the blessing, but elder Oaks made clear that the most important thing is the anointing and sealing and specially the faith of that who receive it. I really enjoyed being able to go to the saturday afternoon session and sostain the proohet. Something I have learned from my mission is that sustaining the prephet is more than just raising our hands is also obedience and prayer in his behalf.
• I was EXTREMELY grateful for the opportunity I had to go to conference! THANK YOU! I have always seen it on T.V. and such but to actually be that close to the brethren you can definitely feel the spirit. Elder Dallin H. Oaks came over to the missionaries in the Saturday morning session! Just even being able to shake an apostle's hand was a wonderful experience! and to just be able to see president Monson was great itself! I have always wanted to see the prophet in person ever since I was a child just because growing up you hear that they are the prophet and sometimes you just want to see! So confernce was an amazing experience which taught me to always be prepared and I received great information that will benefit me on the mission and especially after my mission and when I am 60 years old! I already can't wait to go to the next conference!
• As I went through General Conference notes today, I looked at all the invitations that I received from apostles and prophets, and thought, "Oh my, I have lots to work on!"  So now I need to set goals with the Lord to accomplish them.  My favourite talk was from Elder Oaks in Priesthood session, because I had been wondering about a lot of the things he talked about.  He answered some questions I didn't even know I had.
• General Conference was great!  I honestly loved nearly all of it, and learned quite a bit.  I was suprised of how much emphasis was put on the family, but all of it was very good.  I've come to appreciate the conferences more and more as I have aged in the mission.  They leave me with a renewed faith and conviction. The most important thing that I learned would probably be the importance of having the spirit with us all of the time, and how being obedient affects that.  I loved the talk about justifying not obeying commandments and definately saw that in myself.  So I'll stop justifying and be more obedient.
• Im still figuring out what else im supposed to learn but conference helped alot. I realized I really need to spend some time studying compassion and charity. So im going to devote some study time to that. The past few weeks I have really gained a testimony of the golden hours. The study habits I have developed on my mission I really am going to work to take home with me. I love the scriptures. I love learning about them and about our Savior. I just started reading Jesus the Christ. Im one chapter in but I can just tell that its going to be an amazing experience studying that book. I feel that there is never enough time to study and prepare. I guess thats just another reason why we need to rely on the Spirit and on prayers of faith. No matter what numbers say, I know Im constantly working to improve and work harder. Im going to continue to do that and to exercise faith. I know the promises in the scriptures are true and that this area is going to pick up as we do our very best.
• In conference I particularly enjoyed the talk by Dallin H. Oaks about giving priesthood blessings. It's something that I wondered about for a while. Now I won't feel so uncomfortable about giving blessings in Spanish. Our goal for this new week is to get the people we're teaching to church and on date.
• I loved Conference this week. I've personally been struggling with my confidence in accomplishing what the Lord has given me to do, and I went in to conference with a speficic prayer that the Lord would not only strenthen me, but teach me what I could do to strengthen my confidence. He did that very thing in the first session. Watching it, I was amazed that so many individuals spoke on exactly what I needed. The Lord reaffirmed the knowledge I already had; specifically that if I act, then the Lord will be able to change my heart and give me power to accomplish all things.
• It was a terrific week.  General Conference is the highlight of the week.  Thansk also for the privilege of letting me go to the Priesthood Session of the General Conference. We are still working with 10 investigators they don't have a date yet but I am confident that they will accept one pretty soon.
• Thank-you so much for the opportunity to listen to the living Prophet, Apostles and other General Authorities. I had a truly wonderful experience listening and being edified by there talks and the music that was shared throughout the entire conference. I very much enjoyed the Priesthood Session as well as the Sunday Afternoon Session. I especially enjoyed President Dieter F. Uchtdorf talk labeled, "His Hands" where we are His hands, the hands of Jesus Christ. We, being missionaries, are literally our Lord and Savior's tools and His hands. The whole experience and his talk was very profound. There were many surreal moments during the conference. Additional, another talk that had an intense or at least an immense impact on me was during the Priesthood Session. The topic was on the Priesthood and Priesthood Blessings. There were many points that were very direct and straight forward. But probably the most surrealistic point in the conference, to me, was when ever the brethren were speaking about the latter-days and how there are earthquakes in diverse places: Haiti, Chile, Pacific Islands and according to our Land Lord this morning, Mexico.
• Conference was wonderful.  Enjoyed the talk given by Elder Carlson of the Seventy in the Saturday Afternoon session.  I loved his analogy with the airplane, as will as the common excuses for disobedience.  Its a good reflection to see if any of those thoughts enter my mind as I do the work.  There are no shortcuts.
• I really enjoy it conference it was great i notice how we are always suppost to work in the service of the lord and how much heavenly father really is loking out for our wellbeing.i learn that the scriptures can show us very clearly what is the right path to fallow they declare the true.and somany other things that i will not write just because i know you will get very long letters.no concerns.
• Priesthood Session, the talk by President Uchtdorf, Eyring and by our beloved prophet President Thomas S. Monson.  Those were the talks that really stuck out to me.  President Uchtdorf on patience.  President Eyring on dilligence, and President Monson talking about the eternal importance of being close to God.  They were all inspired of God.
• So this past conference was really neat.  Thank you for letting us attend a session of Conference.  It was a great blessing to hear the talks in person.  Its funny cause a few of the talks seemed to talk to me and answered some questions that I had and also made me think in new ways.  It was really special to be taught by the Spirit as Elder Bednar taught us when he came here.  Well, we will keep working hard and doing our best.
• General Conference was great. They had a lot of good messages and it seemed like they talked a lot about Families and the Resurrection. But it was all good. Of course it is hard to improve family relationships when on a mission but we can use these messages with the people we are teaching. Helping them realize how important the family is. Also in the Sunday Morning Session of Conference I could really feel the spirit from the speakers in that session. It could just feel it a little more that session as it concentrated on the Savior. It was a really good experience. Also one of my favorite talks was by President Uchtdorf in the Priesthood session. Patience is something everyone can need. It was really cool learning about that.
• The most exciting thing this week was with the Martinez Family. They are a family of six that the Lord led us to while we were simply walking down the road, and they have all been truely converted to the Gospel. They all watched conference yesterday, and we followed up on what they learned last night. All of them remembered and saw how they could apply the lessons in Conference. They are all now looking forward to their baptism on the 24th of April.
• I received a lot of impressions during the Sessions.   One of those impressions was about the role of parents teaching their children the ways of the Lord.  We are going to use some of those talks for some of our investigators.   Another one was of not judging inmediatly, I loved the example of Martha who asked the Savior to let her sister Maria help her with chores at home compare to when she told the Savior that whatsover he asked the Father, the Father will grant him, even to raise her brother from the death.  I personally will apply that in my life, I trust that the Lord will bless me for that. I am grateful for my gospel studies that are helping in every aspect of missionary work.  The Spirit and Revelation have been in my mind a lot.
• Work is going well, lots to do and improve. We are going to work extra hard this week and put people back on date. We had two baptisms this week, miracles baptisms becuase we had been waiting for a long time. I am grateful for the insights I got to hear from speakers at Conference. A lot I heard were things I was seeking for. Hope you have a good week.
• I loved Conference. I feel so blessed to have the opportunity to serve so close to be able to attend a session. I felt like they spoke a lot about working to make the Savior the center of our lives. As I saught guidance about finishing up... what I can do better, how I can manage not being a missionary anymore, etc., I felt the Holy Ghost tell me that, yes, I am starting a new chapter in my life like I have many other times, but now I am girdled with the power that comes only through prayer, the strength that comes only through service, the testimony that comes only through trial, and the love that comes only through leading others to Christ. I am grateful for modern revelation and the Spirit that permiates those who spoke to us. I know that the Lord hears and answers our prayers. We are looking really hard to find more people to teach. There are always so many people waiting. When we rely on the Holy Ghost and not our own selves to find these people we will be led to them to them to us.
• The conference was really good, Elder Anderson's talk touched me a lot, I have been inspired to study the Savior until the end of my mission, just focus on his life to make that the majority of my study.  Our investigators are progressing really well, we are continuing the search for new investigators.  Thanks President, have a good week!
• I learnd that the time in the morning is so important. i need to use it wisely to study and gain the knowledge that i need to help and invite others to come on to christ. the work is going good im just trying to do my best to better my self daily. to grow little by little. im just trying to study to best of my ability. i try to stay humble and be open to all things.
• I love the area, but i guess sometimes it get to me how people say its a bad area or everyone is shady or how we are wasting our time doing this or that. But yea, "not compare yourselfs to others". Its ok though, theres been good moments (Talked to the mom of one of the youth from another area, he's going on his mission, and i guess i played a role in that (i did just about nothing to, just told him to go, and one day he agreed).   Also a member told me that i was the first "Elder elder" he has had. I asked what he meant, and he just said the first one that didn't walk around all stressed out looking (though i really am a lot, but not in despair), but always looked like i was enjoying my time).So all in all, ups and downs. I'm sure later on the downs will be ups.
• We are also teaching a twenty year-old who has been investigating for seven years and he says his hold-up is the blacks and the priesthood issue. He has developed a friendship with the ward mission leader who taught him that he won't feel right about it unless he is coming to church and living the gospel. Our investigator is now coming and meeting with us each week, and is looking to be baptized before his birthday at the end of May. We are praying so hard for him!
• I have been reading the book of John at Elder Andersen's request and learning a lot more detail and "morals" from the stories of Christ. I taught about the Pool of Bethesda to my mini missionary since she hadn't heard it before and we spotted the painting of the story in every chapel we were in on Sunday.
• Dear President Laney, things are going well.  I can honestly say that I have never had this many baptisms in a single transfer before, no not since my very first transfer on my mission.  This has been a great confidence booster in both me and my companion, we have a stronger mindset that we can baptize.  We are also starting to find again.  This week should be an even better week for finding new investigators, we have some extremely promising refferals. Date    April 12 2010
• This Sunday we had a correlation with our stake president and he gave us very good advices of how we  can help some of the investigators that we have, its pretty impresing how the Holy Ghost help the stake president to say the right comments about the investigators, he knows some of them, but  his stewarship in this area is totallly revealtory. I was pretty happy after that, because he gave us very good ideas that we are going to apply this next week.
• The Tongan Mini Mission was wonderful. Feeling of their Spirit and working along side them reminds me of how it was when you first come out and you don't really know anything and all you do is rely on the Lord and His Spirit.
• This week was great. Thank you for coming to Josephs Baptism. We were really blessed to find 4 new investigators this week and that is why we were able to surpass our goal. Next week we are planning on trying to get even more. We have been working with some who have fallen away and it is pretty crazy to hear some of the reasons why they stopped comming to church. It is really sad but reminds me that a testimony has a short shelf life. We are working to get many to have that desire to learn and have that motivation to act.
• Something really neat happened this weekend. There is a family named the Christiansens, who we went over to meet for the first time a week and a half ago. They have three girls, ages 5, 8, & 10, and the husband in currently in Afghanistan until October. Both parents are members, but have not gone to church since before they were married eleven years ago. The elders taught the 10-year-old last year, but the parents decided they want her to know enough and be old enough before she is allowed to make a decision about being baptized. (We seem to come across that way too often). Because the parents never go to church, of course their daughters are never going to learn anything to be ready to make that decision. Well, we went over, got to know the mom and the girls a little bit, and asked them if they would come to church the next Sunday. She said they would. That in and of itself was unexpected. Saturday, we went back over to make sure they were still planning on coming. We had to speak in a different ward the same time as theirs, and she really didn't want to do all of this by herself. It's a really big step to come back to church with your three girls when you haven't been for that long. That takes a lot of courage. Well, the only person Sister Christiansen feels comfortable with in the ward is her visiting teacher, who has faithfully fulfilled her calling for the last six years. So, we immediately went to see her (Sister Salazar) and told her that Sis. Christiansen would be coming to church and made sure she would call her that day and let her know they could sit with her, etc. When we told Sister Salazar all of this, she started crying and told us that the Christiansens have been part of the "21 day promise" that they'd been doing this last month. It truly is a miracle that Sister Christiansen agreed to come and bring her three girls, all because the Lord has been preparing her and all we had to do was ask. With enough faith and prayers, amazing things happen. They came to church all three hours. They invited us to have dinner with them, as well. We'll see what happens in the coming weeks. I am excited to see their progress. She told us they will definitely be there in two weeks (next week they have a family conflict). The work continues to go well. Thanks for all you do, President. Date    April 12, 2010
• This week was probably our best week of the transfer. We have really tried to be humble and patient during the last couple of weeks (about 6 for me) and it seems as if the Lord has accepted our offering and is now blessing us with more success. I know that as we continue to keep focused and work hard every minute of every day, we will see more success. I am very thankful for the change that this area has made in my outlook on missionary work. Its not about us, just about others. That's really the key that I have learned and am still learning the hard way.
• Miracles keep happening in our area. I know the Lord is blessing us and D&C 103:36 explains why. President, it's like you say. There's so such thing as a dead area, only dead missionaries.
• As a district we found 12 total! It was incredible! We also had a goal of 32 lessons with a member present and we ended the week with exactly 32! Things all turned around Tuesday after that companionship inventory. I know that studies are important and that it makes the difference.
• My companion said that in the last two weeks or so, a light just came on with the mother and she had made a lot of progress. He didn't know why, but he said that she just decided one day to start reading the Book of Mormon and praying, and that has made all the difference. I love the rescue! I've really tried to catch hold of the vision of reactivating the parents of the kids that we teach, and it's so rewarding!
• Zone Conference: It was a great experience to see the movie, "Only a Stonecutter", because I could relate to him personally, I felt as if I did loose one of my legs when I left my comfort zone in the Spanish assignment and now its my choice to act upon what im going to do about it. So, like I said, Im going to build-me a wooden leg so I can walk again, spiritually.
• I enjoyed zone conference, as always.  My companion and I are using the finding packets to try and find new ways to find people.  I've noticed a trend since I have been in this new area.  The investigators we have have concerns I haven't dealt with my whole mission, and the ways I have found in my past areas haven't been very effective.  We need to teach different and find different and always remember to study hard so that we will be inspired to do what we need to do and when. In general, I need to stop doing things I know how to do and start doing things I don't.  That forces me to rely on someone that does, the Lord.
• I've been studying diligence and initiative this past week. I have learned so much!! I will always take initiative during my life. I dont want to go through my life with no initiative. Zone conference really emphasied that for me. Thank you.
• Also in Zone conference I learned that as we are obedient, everything we do has a purpose. We all should trust the Lord and be confident because we have the AUTHORITY. We were set a part before we came to mission. To know that I have the authority to teach, I feel better and don't feel less confident or hard on myself. I want to be more perfectly obedient and follow the spirit. I want to love the people and do my best every minutes. The time is Lord's time and I want to be a trusted servant from the Lord and people that we serve. I am going to push more and more as I do missionary work.
• Zone Conference:
   -I observed that our purpose is to emulate the Savior.
   -I learned that a simple testimony backed by the spirit is far more powerful than an intellectual explanation.
   -I am going to fulfill my purpose until the day I am released from this mantle. And I will continue to serve after.
• I always remember a quote I heard from one of the general authorities in the MTC: "Pray as if it all depends on the Lord, and work as if it all depends on you." "This work is NOT YOUR WORK, but has EVERYTHING to do with you." So I have been doing my best to live up to that. Daily planning at night is always a good time to reflect on the day, and to prepare for the next. We take full advantage of that time and most of the times end up going over half an hour.
• Wetaught the Restoration to Keena at the door, the man living with her, came up to us, apologized to us, and asked us if it would be alright if he sat in with us when we teach her today. He then told us that he hadn't been to church for forty years and that we were the first missionaries he's talked to that asked him why he hasn't gone, and what we could do to help him. I was so thankful for the Holy Ghost being present for those twenty minutes we were at the door, because He softened the heart of a man that has been embittered towards the gospel for a long time. We gave a prayer of thanks to the Lord after this experience, and I was thankful for the feeling of true gratitude that I felt as we prayed.
• At Zone Conference I loved the movie about John Rowe Moyle.  I was impressed by his dedication and it inspired me.  I learned that much of our purpose has to do with who we become and it just reaffirmed that for me and helped me realize that although we have alot of success in this mission it isn't about that.  I feel like it has been a process for me to learn that even if we had no sucess numbers-wise that it would still all be worth it.
I Love this mission and this work.
• I loved zone conference and loved talking about our true purpose and power as missionaries I plan on using it to better help my investigators feel and recognize the spirit. I also have continued marking the preach my gospel scriptures and have been working on tring to memeroize them. Thank you president for all you do

← See "Older Letters" for more!!

.